Parent Code of Conduct
One of the traditional swim team communication gaps is that some parents feel more comfortable in discussing their disagreements or issues concerning coaching ability, philosophy, or team policies with other parents rather than taking them directly to the coach or the board. This approach often results in new problems being created, and rarely resolves the initial problem. This approach will not be tolerated. Parents shall refrain from gossip with other parents and all swimmers, including their own.
Parent/Guardian Code of Conduct
In order to show positive support and actions towards The Coves Swim Team, its parents, swimmers, coaches, officials and other members in daily activities.
- To discuss with and assist my child in understanding the Swimmer Code of Conduct.
- To nurture my child in swimming. I will instill an understanding of and appreciation for self-esteem, personal accountability, self-discipline, goal setting and goal achievement.
- To ensure my child is on time to all practices and meets.
- To pick my child up from practice on time.
- To read team communication.
- To volunteer for home and away swim meets. (At least 1 half per meet/per family)
- To advise the coaches of any medical problem my child may have.
- To stay off of the pool deck during practice. If I must remove my child from practice early, I will do so only during a time that is least intrusive. If I must speak to the coach, I will do so only after the conclusion of the scheduled practice times. I will not interfere with the coaches on the pool deck.
- To demonstrate good sportsmanship by conducting myself in a manner that earns the respect of my child, other swimmers, parents, officials, and the coaches at the meets and practices. I understand that criticizing, name-calling, use of abusive language or gestures towards the coaches, officials, volunteers, and/or any participating swimmer will not be permitted.
- To never challenge an Officials decision at a meet. If I have a question or concern, I will ask the coach to raise the issue with the Official.
- Not to coach or instruct the team or any swimmer at practice or meets (from the stands or any other area) or interfere with the coaches on the pool deck while performing their job. I will maintain self control at all times.
- To notify the coach via email of any anticipated absences from regular practices or meets.
- To supervise my child during meets.
- The use of alcoholic beverages during practice or meets is prohibited.
- Refrain from the use of performance enhancing drugs or stimulants by an athlete.
- Refrain from the use of drugs other than those prescribed by a physician.
- Refrain from the use of tobacco or vaping on the pool deck or surrounding areas.
Possession of any item that can be considered a weapon at any team function is prohibited.
The following will not be tolerated: Any non-consensual physical contact, obscene language or gesture, or other threatening language or conduct directed towards another Coves Swim Team parent or member, meet official or USA Swimming Coach will not be tolerated!
If you disagree with a coach, a board member, or an official, please speak with them in a private setting. If you disagree with another parent, please speak to a board member.
Any other act, conduct or omission not provided above, which is detrimental to the image or reputation of The Coves Swim Team, USA Swimming, a LCS or the sport of swimming will not be tolerated.
Code of Conduct Violations Will Be Processed as Follows
1. First Offense: A written letter from the board to the swimmer and/or parent explaining the Code of Conduct Violation which could lead to one or more of the following:
a: A written warning with the understanding that if any further offense is violated, automatic suspension or expulsion from the team will result.
b: Suspension from ALL team activities for a set amount of time.
c: Expulsion from the team (Drug usage, weapons, etc)
2. Second Offense: Suspension or Expulsion from the team.